Frequently Asked Plumbing Questions

Have a question about your home’s plumbing? Check our handy list below for frequently asked plumbing questions and answers. If you’re in need of service, we always have a technician on call, even after normal business hours. All Haucke Plumbing & Heating Service Technicians are properly trained, licensed and experienced in all aspects of residential plumbing and heating. They carry with them a large inventory of parts from most manufacturers so that when your plumbing trouble is diagnosed it can be repaired quickly. Call 920-892-6601 for service.

What do I do if my sewer line is blocked?

Call your plumber.  The typical culprits are tree roots, and once they’ve blocked the line, there is little you can do. Haucke’s professional plumbers will snake the line to get it as clear as possible; then use copper sulfide products to kill the remaining vegetation.  However, if this is an ongoing issue, there’s a good chance the sewer line may need to be replaced at some point.

Why do I hear a vibrating noise in my pipes, washer, faucet or other components?

Water hammer can occur when you turn off the water at a faucet or an appliance quickly. When water flows through pipes and the valve is quickly shut off, it will cause the water to stop abruptly in the pipes. If the pipe is near wood, it will bang against it. Following are some possible reasons you may hearing water hammer noises:

  • If you have loose pipes in your walls, anchor them with metal or plastic clips to limit movement of the pipes.
  • Damaged air chambers – these are lengths of pipe installed behind fixtures like your faucet, which hold air that cushions the shock when flowing water is shut off quickly. Sometimes these air chambers get filled with water and will not work properly.
  • Another possibility is that your water pressure is too high. Water pressure over 80 psi can cause problems. Water pressure test gauges are available to test the pressure yourself, or you can hire Haucke Plumbing to test the pressure and make any necessary adjustments to reduce the water pressure in your home to a more appropriate level.
  • Occasionally you will hear faucets making whistling or squealing sounds. Your noisy faucet is due to a washer that is either an incorrect size or is not held securely to the stem. Adjusting or replacing the washer should eliminate the noise. If doing this repair yourself, remember to turn off the water supply to the sink before you start the job.
  • If you live in an older home that has iron or galvanized water supply pipes, scale may build up in your pipes. The only way to handle severe buildup is to replace old water supply pipes. Extensive plumbing repairs of this type should only be done by a licensed professional plumber such as Haucke Plumbing & Heating.

Call us to discuss if you hear noises in your plumbing system.

What happens if my water heater is leaking?

Leaking water heaters are usually a sign that the bottom of the tank has rusted. Call Haucke Plumbing & Heating. Typically, repairs can’t be made and you will likely need your water heater replaced.

What is the difference between hard water and soft water?

Hard water contains a high concentration of dissolved minerals, like calcium and magnesium. In its pure form, water does not contain these minerals and is naturally soft. But as water passes through the ground and rocks such as limestone, it picks up the hard water minerals.  Soft water contains little to no extra elements. This can occur naturally, or soft water can be produced with water treatment equipment that removes the hard elements.

What can I put down my garbage disposal?

When using your garbage disposal, always run cold water, which will help break up the food, and keep fat and grease as solids to break them up better to flush them through your system.  Typical garbage like egg shells, mashed potatoes, cooked vegetables, or small pieces of meat will be ground up by the disposal and flushed down the pipes. Large solid chunks or hard materials should not be put down the disposal, as they can dull the blades or worse, jam the disposal.

Can I safely use chemical drain cleaners?

Chemical drain cleaners can be very toxic, so if you have children or pets in your home, you’ll want to keep this in mind. Also, toxic chemicals can cause deterioration of your pipes from the inside out. If this happens, the drain lines will need to be replaced. For a minor drain clog, look for products that contain “friendly” bacteria and enzymes. These work great at keeping drain sludge and grease from building up on the pipes. For major clogs, contact Haucke Plumbing.

Why does my toilet keep running?

The most common cause is that the flap in the bottom of the tank isn’t sealing shut. Remove the tank top and flush the toilet while watching the rubber flap to see if it closes completely. If not, some water is flowing out through the unsealed flap even as the tank fills, and since water never reaches the fill line as a result, the water continues to run because the float ball trigger is never activated to stop the flow. Jiggling the handle may reposition the flap so that it may seal more securely. If the problem continues, call Haucke Plumbing.

What are tankless water heaters?

Tankless water heaters only heat water as it is being used, which may lower energy costs and water consumption.

How do I keep outside hose bibs (water faucets) from freezing?

It is not enough to just turning off the water. The garden hose should be disconnected from the faucet to allow the water in the pipe to drain out. It doesn’t hurt to cover outside faucets using a styrofoam faucet insulation kit available at most home centers.

Water pressure issues

For your water supply pipes to function properly, it is necessary to maintain normal water pressure. A significant increase in water pressure can lead to burst pipes or failure of a plumbing fixture such as a faucet or toilet. As pressure increases, the pipes won’t be able to contain it, causing them to burst. If you think your water pressure may be too high, it can be checked attaching a pressure gauge to a sink spout and turning on the faucet. The needle on the gauge will register the water pressure in psi (pounds per square inch). The water pressure in most homes is between 30-50 psi. It is recommended to not exceed 60 psi to avoid damage to pipes and plumbing fixtures. If your home’s water pressure is too high, Haucke Plumbing can install a pressure reducing valve to reduce the pressure to safer levels.

Proudly Serving Homeowners Across Sheboygan County & Eastern Wisconsin


Serving Eastern Wisconsin Counties:

Fond du Lac